7 Steps to a Gorgeous Décolletage
Décolletage, a beautiful French word meaning “wearing a low-neck dress,” is also the word we use to refer to our upper chest area, including the neck, shoulder, and cleavage areas. Often overlooked in skincare routines, the décolletage is more susceptible than our faces to damage such as hyperpigmentation, wrinkles, and sagging skin. The oil glands on the neck area have less reparative qualities than the facial skin, and the area is often left openly exposed to the sun and environmental stressors, especially in summer time and swimsuit season!
The good news is that it is never too late to include décolleté care in a skincare routine.
Here are some tips to guide your care:
1. Cleanse. Wash décolleté skin with the same cleanser as you use on your face, at least twice a day. Click here for some cleanser suggestions
2. Exfoliate. Exfoliating with natural materials such as grains, clays, and herbs help to stimulate new skin growth, and provide a "workout" to the skin area which increases blood flow and circulation. Exfoliation also helps to naturally remove debris and environmental toxins from the décolletage that become trapped inside follicles, blocking lymph drainage. Exfoliator suggestions
3. Masque. Facial masques are just for faces! Apply them to your décolletage as often as you masque. When mixing a dry masque to form a paste, use activators such as fresh fruit (applesauce, avocados, leftover smoothie, etc) to add more hydration and vitamins as the masques work on the skin. Using a masque fan brush to apply feels soft and beautiful on your chest. Try using a masque in the morning before showering so that it is simple to remove without a big mess in your sink. Masque ideas
4. Sleep on your back. "Sleep wrinkles" have been said to be the second leading cause of skin sagging (after sun damage), and can contribute to aging by ironing wrinkles into your skin!
5. Moisturize. Use a skin serum (oil) or cream to moisturize the area as you would your face. Apply by looking up at your ceiling and use upward strokes from chest to chin. Moisturizers for face and neck area
6. Protect from the sun! The sun in our skin's enemy and the #1 contributor to aging skin. Protect your Décolletage with Solar Defense Skin Protecting Balm or cover the area with clothing or a scarf when outside.
7. Hydrate. Drink lots of water. Using a moisturizing toner such as Aloe Rose Toner as a pre-moisturizer, and to hydrate the area throughout the day.
Follow these steps to swing into your summer skincare routine and your skin will thank you by the time summer is over! And you'll have developed some amazing skincare habits to last a lifetime, improving the look of your beautiful décolletage!